Rio Celeste Waterfall, day tour from La Fortuna (Arenal)
Rio Celeste Waterfall it is one of the most beautiful attractions of Costa Rica by its blue color due to a reaction of minerals emanating from the Tenorio Volcano National Park.
Rio Celeste is located in Guatuso, San Carlos, north of La Fortuna, its relatively isolated location it attracts fewer visitors than the more touristy parts of Costa Rica and is often called the best kept secret in Costa Rica.
We start the with a pick-up from your hotel and 1.5 hour scenic ride through rural Costa Rica to the start of the hike. The hike is about 4 hours in total, about 7km. Note. This is an intermediate level hike for physically fit people and it can be muddy in parts.
The hike is through tropical rainforest with a guide who will point out any wildlife on the way and you may even be lucky and spot an elusive ‘tapir’. You will arrive at ‘Los Tenideros’ where two rivers come together and form the beautiful turquoise color that gives the Rio Celeste its name. After time to take some photos the tour carries on to the ‘ollas’ mud baths and you’ll have a few moments to relax in the natural hot springs.
Finally a hike will take us to the spectacular Rio Celeste Waterfall where you’ll have plenty of time to take in the amazing scenery – although swimming is not allowed here. Finally a hike back where a delicious local lunch will be served before the journey back to La Fortuna, Arenal.
Please note: The Río Celeste waterfall may lose its blue color during rainstorms.
- $115 per person
- Children: 0 to 4 years is free
- 5 to 12 years have a 20% discount of the regular fare
- Aged 12 and above pay adult fare
- Bilingual guide
- Entrances to park
- 07:30am. Pick up time may vary depending on the hotel where you are staying.
- NOTE: The pick-up service is included for hotels in the area of La Fortuna. There is an additional charge for transportation to hotels outside of Zone 1
- ZONE 2: Lost Iguana, Observatory Lodge, Arenal Lodge & The Springs Resort: $ 20 per trip or $ 40 roundtrip.
- ZONE 3: Rancho Margot, Linda Vista, Arenal Vista: $ 25; $ 50 round trip
- ZONE 4: Leaves & Lizards, V. Hermosa, Tilajari: $ 35 / trip; $ 70 round trip
What to bring:
- Secure shoes for hiking
- Clothes to get wet in
- A change of clothes